Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Still Bored

I usually post Monday, but there was this big, heaping pile of lame excuses sitting on the keyboard so I couldn't. Update is on Wednesday instead.

 Last week I complained about how boring most of this literature I have to read is, but I think I was so busy trying to write well I forgot to say the thing that bothers me most; this stuff is too realistic.

The class is about fiction. By definition all of the works we read in it are about things that didn't really happen, so if we're going to lie, why not lie big? Yeah, that's a nice story about racism and manipulation and false understanding about the reality around us, but wouldn't it be cooler if it happened in space? Or maybe with wizards? Heck, let's go the George Lucas route and do both! Instead these stories are placed in familiar settings with familiar archetypes who do familiar things, so familiar that they could be real. Where's the fun in that?

I know I am being a little selfish here, or maybe a lot selfish. I like sci fi and fantasy and paranormal. I like clever world building, and seeing characters take in the bizarre as normal. I love taking a walk inside someone else's imagination, and seeing where (s)he leads me, picking out the familiar in a foreign world.
Alas, judging by the size of the sci fi/fantasy section in the bookstore (because they are pretty much the same thing right?), I am in the minority. Guess if I want more good stuff I've gotta write my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment