Saturday, October 15, 2016

Conference

The local writer's community has worked really, super hard and put together a second annual writer's conference for November. I already missed the early bird price due to not being on social media and generally acting the hermit. That was my fault. I'm wondering whether I should go this year.

Morally speaking, I probably should. Support the local scene, their success is mine, etc. The more attendees, the more funds they raise, the better speakers they can recruit, the better experience they can create, the more buzz they generate, it all builds on itself. Then there's the networking. I wouldn't have published a dang thing without networking and look at me, I've published two stories. Plus there's classes, of course. I know how to write, but it takes a special kind of arrogance to think you know it all. Heck, some of the best, most succinct instruction I have ever received regarding both plot and character development, I got from that conference last year. Finally, there's the motivation. Everybody needs a good kick in the pants every once in a while, and hanging out with other writers and talking about how special we are is a great way to get that done. You get the encouragement, the inspiration, the hope, the tough love, all at a conference. I should probably go.

On the other hand, if I do go it will negate all the earnings I've made writing this year. Not because it's an expensive conference, either. On the contrary, it's the best value I've ever seen, not that I shop conferences a lot. It's in town, so I don't have to worry about lodging or anything. It's just that I haven't made much money this year. Or any year, for that matter. And I know what to write and how to write it. I have a plan. I just need to get over myself and find a way to get it done. Weekends are (sometimes) a great time to get some writing finished, and if I'm at a conference that means, by definition, that I am not writing. I probably shouldn't go.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just read some Brandon Sanderson and write some stuff about dog-people forcing young adults to fight to the virtual death in simulated combat or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment