Thursday, July 26, 2012

"The Tutor" Part 1

This is the first part of my short story. There was no prompt, except that it must be between 8 to 15 pages. It has undergone full revision twice, so hopefully this is the best version. If you want the rest of it right away just ask. Enjoy.


“The Tutor”

I first saw her perched on a stool near the back at Patrick’s on a late Tuesday morning, sitting across the table from some other girl, a friend of hers I guess. She had long, tanned, muscular legs dangling off the edge of her chair, chestnut hair swept back with a headband, and green eyes, I noted, when they flicked to mine. I would say she was middlingly pretty. Not an Aphrodite you know, more like an Artemis, or perhaps a Persephone, if you know what I mean. Truthfully I hardly noticed her, but her gaze kind of lingered on me with a quiet intensity. Of course nothing should have come of it. It was a chance meeting between strangers, an unspoken desire, a compliment easily accepted and quickly forgotten. This kind of thing happens every day, or even several times a day as it sometimes occurs in my case. It would seem, however, that my evaluation of her was wrong. She turned out to be more like the nymph Echo, and the Fates saw fit to cross our paths once more.
            A few days later I was at the athletic tutoring center, waiting for my 8:45 chemistry appointment to show and catching up on some poly sci reading when she walked in, plunked her backpack down and asked if I was available to help. Now, normally if you want help from a tutor you have to set up a regular appointment, but the clock was pushing nine and my knuckleheaded lacrosse player still hadn’t shown, so I said yes. Immediately she started digging through her backpack and babbling about how hard her class was and how she desperately needed a good grade, typical of a student athlete.
Going over the paper she’d thrown onto the table I could see that she’d picked the toughest professor in the department, so I asked her why. She stopped rooting through her pack and looked me in the eye, and then she froze, like someone had hit the pause button. In retrospect, I guess that she hadn’t seen that it was me at that table. It was pure chance that she came to me, which I would later take for serendipity, but I’m getting ahead of myself. I’m a good enough tutor that the instructor didn’t really matter so I told her as much, and we went over her homework together.
It became clear as we worked through the problems that she was a sweet girl, but didn’t have much of a head for numbers. Even the simple, non mathematical questions she struggled with and I started to wonder if she had a head for anything at all. Still, I felt my sympathy for her growing as she scrunched her brow and puckered her lips in concentration. She was trying so hard, and getting nowhere. I’d hoped that my gentle suggestions would help her to understand and calm her down, but they only caused her to wince and grunt in frustration. It was clear by the time she walked out the door that the poor thing was about to cry.
            It took me a moment to decide what to do. On the one hand, she was just another struggling student-athlete. They come through the center all the time, whining about their training schedules and how the Profs just don’t understand and don’t we know what will happen to them if they can’t make their grades? Please, like I don’t have my own problems. But this girl was different. She didn’t come to me crying or pleading, and she didn’t complain about the difficulty of her class. She just tried to wrestle her way through her homework while clearly not understanding any of it, but never giving up. I found her plight somehow noble and tragic, that she could try so hard and yet fail so spectacularly. I decided I couldn’t just let her go like that, so I followed her out the center and chased her down.
            “Wait,” I called out, “I can help you out.” She stopped and looked at me with those big green eyes, saying nothing but chewing her lip in a blatant plea for rescue. I looked around just to make sure there wasn’t any faculty around to overhear, and then lowered my voice. “I have access to certain materials,” I explained, “to help you study. I can be available to give a little extra help with your homework, too.” She made a face at me, the same one she had when she couldn’t understand a math problem, but still didn’t say anything. I sighed. She was going to need me to spell it out.
“Look,” I said, “there are some athletes, usually the high profile ones in televised sports, who need a little extra help maintaining their GPA. They get access to some academic amenities that are closed to the majority. Stuff like advice on the course work and highly, highly customized study sheets tailored to specific instructors. You see where I’m going with this?”
You could almost see the light coming on in her head, but not in the sudden flash of light like your basic on/off switch. It was more like one of those dimmer bulbs that gradually swell into brilliance. “I think I can arrange to give you that same kind of push,” I said. “Does that work for you?”
I could tell she was a little reluctant, like she thought she was being set up. She was just a track runner, and in women’s sports to boot; not the kind of athlete that usually gets this kind of leg up. She couldn’t understand why I would be offering it to her, and truthfully there was no reason for me to. Honestly I didn’t know why myself. “It just seems like you could use the help,” I offered for inadequate explanation. But in the end, she didn’t have much of a choice. It was either take my offer or fail the class. “Ok,” she said, still sounding cautious. “Great,” I said, scribbling my address on a scrap of paper. “If you come by my place Friday evening I’ll have the materials for your first exam ready.” She seemed apprehensive as she took the paper. “Can’t you just bring it to campus? She asked, but regretfully the sensitive nature of the materials dictated the utmost discretion, which she accepted. “As for your homework,” I continued, “that’s some pretty easy stuff for me to take care of. All you have to do is come by the center and log into your account for me.” Actually that part was a lie. Usually the jocks just give me their username and password for the online coursework and they disappear from my life, but I wanted an excuse to keep an eye on her. She didn’t outright say it, but I could read the warm relief in her eyes when we parted ways. Our entwined fates were sealed.
The next day I found myself thinking of her again. Actually, her face was stuck in my head like a Ke$ha song, so I spent an hour or so digging up who this girl was. I had her name now, and I knew she was an athlete. It didn’t take long to dig up the details; she ran the 1500 meter, was a sophomore, and majored in criminal justice of all things. I guessed that she was an average student, though there was no way to confirm her grades.
The biggest surprise came when I looked for her off campus. Her Facebook account was public, though it didn’t seem like she’d looked at it in months. She did, however, have an active twitter account. I was expecting the usual meaningless drivel that comes from the pretentious, self absorbed type of person who tweets, but it was something else. I mean, it was drivel, but an unexpected kind. Post after post was about some guy she had seen and how she thought she was in love. “I just met him” was the most recent tweet, in all caps, with four exclamation marks, “So excited I can hardly stand it,” followed by three more marks, declaring herself a total of five times more excited than the English language says you have a right to be. I checked back to see if that was the only thing she tweeted about, and though she’d only held the account for a week or so, her unrequited love seemed to be her sole obsession. “Well that’s interesting,” I thought, but not nearly as interesting as when she opened the account; August twenty first, the exact same day that I saw her in the pizza joint.
The timing seemed strangely suspect. “Could it be me?” I thought, and immediately rejected the idea. She had to have seen dozens of guys that day, maybe even hundreds. Any one of them could have caught her eye, and it was far more likely that it was some jock she saw often. Maybe another athlete or at least someone that worked closely with them. “But you work closely with athletes,” I reminded myself, and quickly countered, “she didn’t know that.” But the more I accepted the possibility that I was the object of this poor girl’s esoteric affections, the more her actions toward me made sense; the sudden blushing, the stammering, the sidelong glances.
At first this whole idea struck me as funny. I mean, how desperate would this girl have to be to do something like this? The way she made it sound she was head over heels for me, or whoever this guy was. I mean sure, I catch girls staring at me all the time, some have even walked up to me and asked me for my number. I always give them a fake one, but this was the first time some strange chick just started obsessing over me just from seeing me one time. First time I knew of, anyway. Maybe something was wrong with her? Something that made her feel undesirable to real men, forcing her into an imaginary relationship? Or maybe the pressures from her training finally made her snap? Whatever it was, the longer I thought about it the less humorous her situation appeared to me. I mean, here’s this unremarkable girl, a student athlete in an unimportant sport with a struggling GPA. She probably invented this delusional boyfriend just as some kind of cathartic escapist fantasy, and look at how that worked out. There she was, enjoying her harmless, quiet little Utopian romance when I dropped into the picture, and not only had I spent the morning helping her with her homework, I had offered her private “tutoring” as well. The poor thing had to have been paralyzed when she was forced to confront the real, actual incarnation of her professed desire.
All this put me in a bad position. I had already promised to help her out with her chemistry class; I couldn’t just bail on her. Besides, at this point I wasn’t even certain that I should. She was so vulnerable, so fragile. I would hate to be the man to crush her dreams and break her heart. She would feel like I was dumping her, even though we had never really been together. Then again, they say that possession is nine tenths of the law and it looked like I had unwittingly stolen her heart. I couldn’t see any way out of this where I didn’t end up looking like a jerk, so I decided that I would go ahead and keep the date and let the situation work itself out. Maybe I was mistaken, I thought, maybe she was really infatuated with someone else.
            When she came by the house that Friday evening I was prepared. Being conscious of her suspected crush, it was easy to see the signs. She was nervous, avoided eye contact, she didn’t speak much. I invited her inside and she accepted, but declined to sit down or have a drink, juice, water or otherwise. We made a little small talk until she asked about the papers. I produced a copy and offered to go over it with her, but she made some excuse and quickly left. I kept my eye on her twitter account, and sure enough, thirty minutes later she chimed in about how she’d just seen her dream guy. “He’s such a gentleman,” she said, “and nice and helpful. I think he likes me too.”
            My suspicions were now confirmed. Either she had the questionably odd habit of seeing the object of her affections only after she visited her chemistry tutor or I was the guy, but how was I supposed to handle that? She was into me, that much was potently clear, but when she had the time and opportunity to interact with me as a real live person she just shut down. It was like she had already invented a personality and dressed me in it like some mannequin, and now she was frightened to learn that I might be someone else. Not knowing what else to do, I made sure she was reserved for my morning sessions so I could continue to help with her homework, and kept an eye on her twitter feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment